Monday, September 14, 2009

Classes about Prenatal appointments and care, Hmmm!?!?!?!

Hi All,
So as it turns out my first prenatal appointment was not exactly an appointment at all. I mean I had a scheduled time to be there, but what happened once I arrived was something I had not experienced with my previous children.

It was in fact a prenatal class. What is that you ask? Well let me tell you. I went to the appointment where I had blood drawn, was weighed and went over my medical and familial history (most of which was already in the system bc I had done it online). after this was done and I had about a 20 minute conversation with the nurse, she told me to follow her where we proceeded to go into a room with three other expecting mothers and one very nervous looking Father to be. There were pens on the table as well as an ice cold bottle of water and a fruit snack. We were given a 45 page book and proceeded to go through the book page by page. This took approx 45 minutes. the class was instructed by a very nice well informed nurse and most of the information was useful. I think I would have been more into it had I known exactly what I was getting into and if this were my first pregnancy. I was sitting there through a good bit of it wishing it was on my DVR and that I could fast forward.

After the class was over I was lead back into the exam room for another 15 minutes to go over any other questions that I might have and to discuss the idea of First Trimester Screening.

When did these classes start? Has anyone else ever taken them? What were your feelings? I don't know. Like I said, were this my first child I think I would have been more into hearing about vaginal discharge and listening to the other mother ask if it was OK to continue doing sit ups why she was pregnant. As it stood that day I was just ready to go home and have lunch.

On the other hand I must give it to the group where I am being seen. They are very thorough, very attentive and so far their follow through has been excellent. I was very comfortable and impressed that the nurse had such a wide knowledge base. In addition the book did have alot of useful information. Including which OTC medications are safe to take, that is always a tough one to figure out. If you are in the RTP area and expecting, take a look at Harris and Smith OB-GYN they are part of the Duke Health System.

I'll fill you in on my first REAL appointment a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment